Fungus in the cellar: causes and methods of control
In a dark and humid room, there are all conditions for the rapid propagation of the fungus. Often you can see on the walls of the basement green and gray mold, water smudges, feel putrefactive odor. The fungus “eats” vegetables and fruits left in the basement for winter storage, leaving traces of their reproduction in the form of mold on them. Even if the fetus was saved, rinse away, then it will still be unfit for food.
Causes of fungus in the cellar
Vegetables and fruits should be stored at low temperatures, so the basement is ideal for this. The cellar is never heated, so there are all conditions for the growth of mold.
In a private house, humidity increases with the advent of spring, when there is a lot of water in the soil, and it partially enters the basement. The zealous owner makes sure that the cellar is dry. To do this, lay wooden planks on the earthen floor, insulate the ceiling of the walls. And all in order to avoid freezing in the winter. A house built of low-quality materials, by itself passes moisture, absorbs it. This building moisture is stored in all rooms, including utility rooms and basements.
If you smell mold, you need to make ventilation in the cellar or at least ventilate the basement in the summer.
What will help get rid of the fungus
Timely prevention will help you maintain the microclimate of the cellar, make the space inside dry and cool, without a single sign of fungus.
- Explore the room, look into each nook. If you see a gray web or a solid whitish film, take action.
- Modern fans that make the air warm in the room will dry the basement. Due to these units, by blowing hot air, you can dry the boards on the walls and floor of the cellar. But such prevention is carried out in an empty basement since elevated temperatures can reduce the shelf life of fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Before filling the basement, you can treat the walls and other surfaces with an aqueous solution of chlorine. And also set fire to garden sulfur: it releases gas, from which the fungus dies and no longer multiplies. An important condition is not to open the door after the procedure for 10 hours so that the effect becomes effective. Then carry out daily ventilation and load the basement.
- You can try to get rid of the fungus in the cellar using quicklime. This method is the fastest and most effective. If in the basement you have a box with such a composition in open form, then there will be no fungus and mold – lime absorbs excess moisture.
- Baking soda helps you get rid of mold. 1-liter water must be diluted 5 tbsp. l soda and wipe them the walls and shelves of the cellar.
How to dry a cellar
All preventive measures are best carried out in an empty basement, but you need to ventilate it regularly, especially if the weather is warm and sunny.
In the spring, when some boxes are already empty, they are carried out. Partitions and shelves are also dried in the sun, after washing them with laundry soap. Ventilation will be most effective if you additionally treat the walls and floor with copper sulfate.
But it is better to whiten the walls with the following solution: 10 l. water 100 gr. chalk and 20 gr. vitriol. Pass a brush or roller along the walls, which will give you complete protection against mold.
Experience shows that constant air exchange gives a stable result in the fight against fungus. To do this, lay two hollow plastic pipes at the beginning of the cellar and at the end with access to the outside – this will ensure constant air ventilation.